In addition to the three summer student positions described previously, we are also seeking a mature (read: grown-up) person to provide supervision to those students. This is a highly flexible position and would be ideal for a teacher, EA, former camp director, etc. on summer holidays.
Summer Program Supervisor
Reports directly and is accountable to the Faith Formation Team and Ministry & Personnel Committee
Stipend of $1000 paid upon completion of the position
Position runs July 3, 2018 – Aug 28, 2018. Hours and days of work are highly flexible except for camp weeks (July 30-Aug 3 & Aug 13-17, 8am-4pm).
The successful candidate must provide a provide a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check showing no concerns.
St. Paul’s United Church in Paris, Ontario is a progressive and inclusive congregation of The United Church of Canada. We seek to celebrate the diversity of God’s creation and to be a safe space for people of any age, gender identity, racial/cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, ability, and family configuration.
As a settler institution, we acknowledge that SPUC is located on the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee (Ho-deh-no-show-nee), Anishnawbe (Ah-nish-nah-bay) and Neutral peoples and we recognize their stewardship of this land throughout the ages. We seek a new relationship with the Original Peoples of this land, one based in honour and deep respect.
The SPUC Faith Formation Team is responsible for delivering children’s, family, and adult Christian education programming to the SPUC and Paris community.
The Summer Program Supervisor is part-time position which will provide guidance, mentorship, and direct supervision to the three Children’s Programming Coordinators as they plan and lead the summer children and family programming with a focus on promoting diversity, social justice, and volunteerism.
Role of the Summer Program Supervisor
- To supervise, guide and mentor the Children’s Programming Coordinators as they plan and lead children’s programming at SPUC through the summer, including Friday Family Fun Night, Sunday School, and 2 one-week children’s day camps with a focus on diversity, social justice, and volunteerism – Theme: “Stronger Together”
Under the supervision of the members of the FF Team and M&P Committee, the Summer Program Supervisor will:
- Guide the Children’s Programming Coordinators in creating an initial timeline and workplan for their duties
- Meet with the Children’s Programming Coordinators regularly to assess their progress, offer support in their planning, and debrief and problem-solve any issues that arise
- During camp weeks (July 30-August 3 and August 13-17, 2018), be present at the beginning and end of each camp day to offer supervision and guidance as needed to Children’s Programming Coordinators and volunteers
- Promote and maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all participants and be prepared to implement fire, safety, first aid and other emergency procedures if needed
Skills and Abilities
- Experience and high level of comfort planning and implementing programs for large groups (ie. as a camp director, teacher, educational assistant, or child care provider)
- Experience and high level of comfort offering strong leadership to diverse groups of people of all ages and abilities
- Excellent organization, planning, and budgeting skills
- High level of flexibility and ability to adapt to changing situations (such as weather, number of volunteers, level of volunteer skill, etc.)
- Commitment to providing a safe space for people of any age, gender identity, racial/cultural backgrounds, sexual orientation, ability, and family configuration.
- Basic understanding of issues of oppression and privilege is an asset but not required; a successful candidate will be dedicated to continually learning more and self-reflecting on how these issues impact and are impacted by them and the people around them.
- For non-indigenous (settler) candidates: Commitment to the ongoing, continual process of self-reflection and acting in solidarity with Indigenous folks.
- First Aid and CPR certification an asset.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 10, 2018.